|Mike Curtiz Dir Casablanca.|
Movie-lore: Popular Cinema & its Evolution since d invention of Kinetoscope. Trivia from d World Cinema in general & Hollywood in particular . NS.
# Movie-lore- Trivia Galore. Part VI....
- In World Cinema a *Dir is most important part & role, in the Film-Making Biz. In d sequence of giving credits during d start or sometimes at d end d Director's name appears last preceding d Producer, Screenplay, Music Dir, d editing, cinematography & d Cast whose names appear after d studio or a Production House's name such as MGM/UA/TC F presents ...etc.This a sign of how meticulous & seasoned one has to b able to direct a Movie. Dirs from all parts of d World have become a part of Movie-lore because all credit or dis-credit shall b heaped on him, immaterial of d Producer's style of functioning i.e.not given d needed resources such as d Casting of Stars whom d Dir envision his storyline according to d Stars, he feels shall do justice to a role in that genre as envisaged by him. It so happened that George Cukor of d 'My Fair Lady' fame & later Sam Wood were to direct this 3hr 44mins Civil war epic with a 13 min interval. "Gone with d Wind" (39) which still is d highest grosser (inflation adjusted) in Movie History. Initially rejected by top Hollywood exec,Louis B.Mayer, Irving Thalberg at MGM, RKO's Pandro Berman, David Selznick, refused to adapt d Novel, though WB were interested, their top star Bette Davis was uninterested, Darryl Zanuck of TC F wasn't offering enough price, it was on a business partner's advice, Selznick bought d Rights of d Margaret Mitchell book of d same name at a staggering $ 50,000. As d filming started Selznick's long-time associate Dir Cukor was replaced after 3 weeks of filming, because, miles of reels, costs, & search for an ideal Scarlett yielded no results & 2 yrs was spent in pre-production by him.
- Another MGM Dir was asked to direct after Victor Fleming directing 'Wizard of Oz' left d set citing exhaustion, Sam was brought in to carry on with d Filming till Fleming returned. Though uncredited both Wood & Cukor, except d Movie & d Oscars r statuette there names r added by all Web-Sites & Film-site IMDb, Wikipedia, Reel-Classics after Fleming's name as uncredited.
- In Hollywood History he Dir to win d most Oscars is John Ford, though he was known for his work in films of d Western Genre, he won his 4 statuettes for Dir socially relevant movies. He won he best-Dir AA* 1st for The Informer(35); The Grapes of Wrath(40); How green was my Valley(41); The Quiet Man(52), from a total of 5 AAN**.
- William Wyler has received 14 AAN, d highest. He won 3 AA's in 1942,46, 59, his most successful being d highest Oscar winner Ben-Hur in 59 with11(AA) from 13 AANs, tied with Titanic(97) & LOTR: Return of d King(2005). He is also credited with guiding 35 AANs & 14 AA winners . Wyler has Dir 13 Best-Pic nominated films majority of these has been critically acclaimed & box-office hits.
- John Schlesinger (above) won an AA for 'Midnight Cowboy' rated -X.
- Francis Ford Coppola lost in AA's of 1972 to 'Cabaret' (72) Dir Bob Fosse, & went for 'Godfather' Part 2 & is d only sequel to win d Best-Pic category in AA history.
- Alfred Hitchcock Dir his 1st American film Rebecca(40) for which he was nominated lost to Ford's Dir of d Oakie Dust-Bowl disaster adapted from Steinbeck novel of d same name. 'Grapes of Wrath' in 194o Selznick won his 2nd Best-Pic Oscar after his win in 1939 for 'Gone with d Wind'.
- Scorsese after his name was declared as d Best-Dir for 'D Departed'(2007) asked , Pse open d Envelope jokingly because he hadn't won any from his previous 7 AAN.