|Chaplin The Circus|
- The Academy introduced the Honorary award in 1948 previously called as the, to lifetime achievement including other fields such as humanitarian & services rendered in the Social Service by members of the Film community. The Governor's board has discretionary power to award it to a group or an individual associated with the Cinema Industry to award any achievement not falling in any Oscar's 24 categories . It was introduced by the Academy in the year 1948 at the 21st edition of the Award ceremony earlier known as the Special Award. The recipients receive the same statuette received by winners in the competitive categories unless specified by A.M.P.A.S. to celebrate their achievements. It is to b noted that earlier winners in the competitive category winners were eligible to receive this award, Laurence Olivier & Sophia Loren received this Award among many who had won in competitive categories at Awards.
- This award is different from the Special Achievement Awards introduced in 1972. Special & Honorary Awards were given for lifetime achievement & not limited to the AA's guidelines of contributing to films in that year. The Special & the honorary awards were rewards given for significant contribution in movies for that year only, 'The Jazz Singer(27) by Warner Bros received this award for its contribution in producing a all-talking film in 1927. It's popular response gave the industry a hope for making full feature-length talkies.
- The Academy awarded this to contribution in Cinema that didn't fit into any categories instituted by A.M.P.A.S that year, at present it gives away awards in 24 categories. Jazz Singer(27) & Charlie Chaplin received it for their unique contribution in Cinema history, Warner Bros production of the 1st full--length Talkie in Cinema History & Chaplin for versatility in writing, directing, producing & acting in "The Circus" in 1928. Chaplin 1st appeared in "Making a Living" in 1914, & his 1st directorial debut with 2 reel short of "20mins of Love", also credited as the writer. That year winners receiving the Academy Award wasn't yet known by its popular name of Oscar in the 1st ever presentation in 1929. specified by the Academy.
- There are many numbers of Awards introduced by the Academy of Motion-Pic Arts & Science to award unique achievements in the Cinema Industry in the categories not falling in any regular category in the Academy Awards or the Oscars. The A.M.P.A.S though increased its categories to 24, there r still some achievement's not falling in any of the competitive or honorary categories are given these Awards for their contribution to Cinema. The Academy a non-profit org also supports technical research, maintains a library for film-related materials known as the Margaret Herrick library, which issues bulletins of containing record of credits of producers, directors, actors, editors, writers, cinematographers, for production office use. The 2009 honorary recipients were Actress Lauren Bacall, Director Roger Corman, & famed Cinematographer Gordon Willis.
- To know more on this topic please visit this link: http://www.oscars.org/